Retired Pastor Dan

Retired Pastor Dan
Oak Hill, NY

Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Fret Not

It's been a year and a half - more or less - since I wrote my last blog.  So much has happened that I can't begin to catch up.

The most disconcerting thing going right now is the candidacy of Donald Trump for President of the United States.  When he announced about a year ago that he would be running for President, everyone thought he would not last long in the race because of his temperament and his ideas.  Well, guess what?  He is now the "presumptive Republican candidate."

It still remains to be seen if he will continue into the general election as the Republican candidate because so many leaders in the GOP are upset with Mr. Trump.

The choices give to the public are Hillary Clinton, Donald Trump or the Libertarian candidate, whose name I can't remember.

I find both Trump and Clinton to be unacceptable as President.  It just might be that I will sit out the Presidential election.  I used to say that if you don't vote, don't complain.  But when there is not anyone to vote for with a clear conscience, perhaps not voting is the clear choice.  There are other races, local and state, and I will definitely be voting in those instances.  But perhaps I will sit out the Presidential election.

What keeps me from despair in this whole situation is my Christian faith. "I know whom I have believed, and I am convinced that he is able to guard until that Day what has been entrusted to me."  (2 Tim. 1:12)  That "Day" is the day that Christ returns.  Between now and then Jesus has everything under control, even though there are times when it doesn't seem to be the case.


Psalms 37:7 ESV
Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him;
fret not yourself over the one who prospers in his way,

over the man who carries out evil devices!

While both are disliked by a majority of American voters, both Trump and Clinton are the frontrunners and will most likely face off in November.  They seem to be prospering in their ways, even though, given their poll numbers, they should not even be in the running.  It's just that the two parties have been unable to put forward anyone better, which says something about our failed political system.

So the best I can do is close my eyes, hold my nose and vote for one of the two.  Or not vote at all.  In any case, I will "fret not."  Or at least try not to fret.


No comments: