Retired Pastor Dan

Retired Pastor Dan
Oak Hill, NY

Thursday, January 8, 2015

Change

I saw this photo on Facebook today and it spoke to me of my unwillingness to change even when I KNOW that change is imperative if I am to grow spiritually and emotionally - even physically, if I take into account the need for disciplined exercise.

We all see things in the world that upset us and we wonder why people can't just change their attitudes and behaviors to make things better.  Rodney King asked "Why can't people just get along?"  Well, that would involve people's changing in radical ways.

What it boils down to, however, is the need for ME to change.  "God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the willingness to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."  I have lived this prayer for nearly thirty years, sometimes well and sometimes no so well.  How I look at and interact with the world around me begins with me.

Matthew 15:18–19 NIV11
18 But the things that come out of a person’s mouth come from the heart, and these defile them.
19 For out of the heart come evil thoughts—murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony, slander.

We need periodic "heart transplants."  The Bible speaks of having a "new heart:"

Ezekiel 36:26 NAS95
“Moreover, I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; and I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh.

Father, help us to change our hearts.  Give us your grace to see where we need to change and the power to make those changes, that we might be pleasing in your sight and help bring about your Kingdom on earth.  Amen.

No comments: